Tuesday, November 27, 2012

How Climbing is Graded



The Yosemite Decimal Rating System is the current system used to grade climbs in the United States.
Class 5 of the system is where technical rock climbing begins. At this class a rope and protection are also needed to safeguard a fall. The climbs range from 5.0 being the easiest to 5.15b being the hardest. In July 2001 Chris Sharma made the first assent of Realization, the world’s first 5.15, in France. Then on October 15th 2011 Sasha Digiulian climbed the hardest climb by any women "pure imagination" (9a which is a 5.14d).
Below is a video of her assent:
This video really inspired me to believe anyone can accomplish anything when they work hard and put their minds to it.

3 comments:

Shakya said...

I never knew that there was a true difficulty measure for climbing. It must be really scary and difficult to climb some of the hard ones. But the satisfaction of reaching the top must be fantastic.

Nancy C said...

Interestingly, when I was introduced to rock climbing many years ago, there was never any mention of a rating scale. I wonder if it had to do with being a beginner or because they hadn't rated them back then.

It is a great sport and a tricky one too! The video of Sasha is awesome. It really is inspirational and a good reminder that we can do anything we put our minds too!

Coming across your blog makes me want to try this once again (although I am much older now!!).

My favorite rock climb was in Yosemite! Where is your favorite place to climb?

Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I have only climbed in a few places but I love Acadia National Park.